Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 12: Kirtland Temple, Issac Morley Farm, LDS Visitors Center, Historic Kirtland

Sorry for lack of pictures today. I ran out of batteries yesterday and had to depend on others for pictures, and I wasn't able to get ones of all of the sites today. Updates will come.

Today started off kind of dreary looking as we left the city of Mentor, Ohio, but when we had reached Kirtland within 10 minutes, the sky was brightening up for a nice comfortable day. Since I was on bus #2, I had the privilege of beginning my days journey at the Kirtland Temple, which is now owned by the Community of Christ (RLDS) church. We watched a movie explaining the history of the Kirtland area and its importance in the founding of the church, and then we were able to go on a tour of the temple.

We started on the second floor and had some basic history and layout explained to us, and then we moved downstairs to learn more about what had happened there. We were able to sing the first verse of The Spirit of God, just as the early saints had done at the dedication of the temple, and the Spirit was amazing. It was a little strange walking through the temple as a tour, and especially being led by a tour director from the Community of Christ, but I enjoyed it. I felt like people were being a little too judgmental towards their church and it made things awkward, so I tried to seem friendly and accepting of them, and our tour guide was pretty awesome.


After we finished up at the temple, we were able to visit the Issac Morley Farm. This is where Joseph was able to preach that this church would fill North and South America, and that it would fill the world. Back then, I don't know if I would have been able to believe it, but now we can see how it is coming to pass and its incredible. On the front lawn of the farm, there was a giant Tulip tree, and these were the flowers on the tree. They were huge and they made the tree look like it was covered in lily pads. I loved it.
We finished up at the Morley Farm early so we were able to go up to the rock quarry where they got the rocks for the walls of the temple. This is a picture from the scenic stroll Pres. Monsen had us take before he realized we were on the wrong path.
We then had lunch at the Morley Farm and was then able to tour historic Kirtland, including the N.K. Whitney Store, which includes the Store, the First Bishop's Storehouse, the room of Joseph and Emma while they lived there, and the coolest room of all, the School of the Prophets where the Father and the Son appeared, and where the revelation of the Word of Wisdom was given. There was such an amazing Spirit there, and the couple that was leading us (from Wayne county) gave us some time just to think about what had happened there. It was wonderful. Also, we were able to tour the Saw Mill, and the Ashery. I felt like I was back at the Taylor Pioneer Park learning about things, so it was fun.

Afterwards, we jumped on the bus for a 3 hour drive to our stay tonight, Holiday City, Ohio. My partner for the day was Jake, and we had a good time. He's really a funny kid and he likes to ask questions. Plus he can't bend one finger all of the way, and that was cool to see.

We watched cars and had a good time, and when we got to the motel dinner was ready and delicious. I chilled with my buddies until it was time to go to bed, and that brought me here.

Once again, sorry for the lack of pictures of the cool places. I had Al-dawg take them for me, and I wasn't able to get them from him. They'll be up soon though, and I'll let you know when you need to come back. Thanks for reading, and be safe!

*PS- I've posted 101 pictures so far just from the CHT. I'd say I'm doing pretty good about showing you what I've been up to. I'll do a bit better of a job tomorrow though!*

0 comments: