Monday, June 30, 2008

Pins, Pins, Magical Pins!

This morning at 5AM, I left my nice comfortable bed in Glenwood and traveled up to Orem in order to be at the hospital by 7 to get ready for my *final* surgery on my wrist.

Everything went smoothly, I got there on time, I got an actual room this time, I got all ready in my gown and shorts, the nurses did all the questioning, I signed all the papers, my arm was signed, then sanitized, and finally I was rolled into the OR, transferred to my Operating bed and knocked out.

The next thing I know I was waking up in my room (no recovery room this time! wahoo! at least that I can remember. hahah) asking my mom to see the pins. I specifically made arrangements with Dr. Richards and with the nurse to see them after the surgery was done. I mean, come on, who wouldn't want to see something that had been inside of them for the last 2 months? (yeah, its been almost 2 months. It will be the 2 month mark on Saturday. That means one more to go!)

I have a feeling that I asked to see them, looked at them, and gave them back to my mom before I remember asking to see them and looking at them because when I remember asking for them, my mom started laughing and said my dad doesn't like it when people ask the same thing multiple times.

When I got to see them, I was shocked! They're small little buggers! I thought they'd be way thicker and even a little longer. They remind me of sewing machine needles. They're pointed on one side like a needle, and look cut off on the other end. If you're ever at my house, I'll show them to you! *The chapstick is in the picture for size reference, not just because I was lazy.*


Dr. Richards even was nice enough to remember to wrap my hand lightly this time. He gave me the go ahead to start bending it back and forth as soon as tomorrow and I'm so happy.

I'm just hoping the back of my thumb, and, as I just discovered, the back of my hand wake up remotely soon. If it means pain, I wouldn't mind them waiting to wake up until the morning. The pins were inserted and removed right next to a major nerve that controls your hand, so not being able to feel anything on the back of my hand is kind of freaking me out, if you know what I mean. I don't even know if the back of my hand was numb after the surgery last time because my thumb was all wrapped and casted up, and my wrist was in immense pain even with the pain pills there to dull the pain.

Thats the good news! I haven't even taken so much as an aspirin all day! We were out of the hospital by 9, making that the fastest surgery probably ever, and I had an ice pack on my hand for maybe 10 minutes while we tried to stop by Brandon and Julie's (they were still asleep), then we went to Sam's Club to get goodies for the weekend (I got some sweet shorts and a 5 pound bag of gummy bears. I'm in heaven!), and then we went to the Provo Mall for lunch. Red Robin didn't open until 11, and we were like 15 minutes early, so we went up to the music store and got some piano music. Even by the time we got out of Sam's Club, my ice was melted because the hospital uses pebble ice, but I was feelin; fine! I was happy, and I even played my new piano song (WITH BOTH HANDS) when we got home. I'm really kind of excited my hand is really getting better this time.

So, 2 weeks until the stitches and the permanent soft cast come off, then I'm down to personal exercises and a brace until about August 11. I'm so so so so so happy. I'll be normal again!

Here's something crazy though. Today after I had taken a nap, my family was eating dinner and watching something on KBYU. They left, and I decided to make up something for myself (my mom made tacos) and I didn't bother to change the channel. Next thing I know I look up and see the nurse that started my IV at the hospital this morning! I guess her parents were on this show talking about coping with loss because her little sister died from a rare illness when she was 9. It kinda blew my mind. haha

So theres my update. I hope I didn't bore you with information, but you should be sure to leave me a comment because it brightens my day! We're down to the last leg, baby!

3 comments:

Manda said...

YAY! You are almost all done!!! I do have to say that you should make a warning that you are going to show actual pictures of the pins. :) I had to scroll down very quickly and I couldn't read the rest of your post. I am such a pansy. You rea

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA i thought you were jumping on a tramp taking the pictures! But anyways , hey! How are you? I have'nt seen you much! I hope your arm is doing better! Blog my back!

Manda said...

I am sorry Lauren, but I have a weak stomach when it comes to medical things, especially surgeries.