Wednesday, June 25, 2008

6 Weeks Down - 6 More To Go!

6 Weeks ago, on Monday, May 5, I went in for surgery to have pins inserted in my wrist as a final attempt to kind of glue everything together and secure the ligaments that have been damaged as a result of my clumsyness over the last year and a half.

2 Weeks out from the surgery, I made a visit to Dr. Richards to get my stitches out, and got a sweet cast just 2 days before my Graduation.

Yesterday, the day came to get my cast off. They cut it off, took a few x-rays, and after Dr. Richards had checked it they gave me a removable splint!
I go back in for surgery on Monday, and they will cut the right side of my wrist back open so they can pull the pins out. (I think I can feel them right now. . . I definitely can't move my wrist in more than a few millimeters in any direction.)
Once the pins come out, it will be 2 more weeks of a soft cast wrap (that he says will be thin, and I'll be allowed to move my wrist in). After 2 Weeks, I will get the stitches removed, and then be on splint recovery with personal physical therapy (read: I get to do it myself) for one more month.
The plan is that I will be completely ready for anything by August 11, 2008. Who's excited? I am!

Today was amazing. . . I was finally able to take a shower with both hands exposed! No bag on the arm! It felt wonderful. Too bad it has to go back in a wrap soon. . . but it will all be worth it.

2 comments:

Sarah BTW said...

lauren! thanks so much for the quilt! it's adorable! and it's inspired me to finally work on/finish my quilt.

Aims said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you. Almost through! Thanks again for my stuff; I love the shirt and the top comes in handy when I'm spaced out.