Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Day 5: Sites and Sounds of Nauvoo

Today we were able to spend all morning touring Old Nauvoo, visiting all of the sites and exhibits the missionaries could give us. After driving past the temple:

Our first stop was at the LDS Visitors Center. I was able to see one of the original Sunstones. This one is actually owned by the state of Illinois, but its on lease to the church for display at Nauvoo. There is one other one on display at the Smithsonian in Washington DC too.

After that, we were able to go inside and get some cool pictures by the Chirstus.
Next was the Relief Society Garden that is behind the Visitors Center, and I thought this statue of Joseph and Emma was really neat.
Then we had a group picture by the main statue in the garden.

While people were finishing up outside where it was chilly. I got to go inside and look around; take some pictures of the statues and displays, and learn more about the area. We talked to a Sister Orton, and she was a super cool sister from West Valley.

When we finished up at the Visitors Center and jumped on the bus to go to the Browning Yard. From there we were able to go to the Blacksmith shop where they showed us how to make Wagon Wheels and Horseshoes, and we all got a diamond prarie ring.

Afterwards, we were able to walk up to the Brickyard, and an older Elder, who was the sweetest guy, told us about how they made the bricks. After hacking them to dry them out, they would put them into stacks so as to be able to heat them up and dry them. The ones in the center near the fire would get too hot, and be very black and ugly looking, yet very strong. Those in the middle would turn the awesome, beautiful Nauvoo Red from the iron oxcide, and those on the outside would become yellow and wouldn't be very strong. After the bricks were done, they would build their houses 3 bricks deep, with the Red on the outside to look nice, the black in the center to act as the strong base, and the yellow on the inside so they wouldn't waste anything. If the yellow ones were heated a little more, they could become the beautiful Nauvoo red color like the others.

He compared this to our families, and it was really cool. The Red Bricks represent the Mother, because she puts on a good front to make the family look good. The Black ones, (aka Clunkers) represent the Fathers, because while they might not be very good looking, they're strong and hold the family up. Then, the yellow ones are like the children, because they are still in the process of becoming strong, thats why they are on the inside, to grow and be sheltered. I thought it was really neat.

While we were at the Brick yard, I could not stop thinking of some of my most favorite people, Mark and Diane Taylor. They both passed away a few years ago, but the last mission they were able to serve at was the Nauvoo Mission. I remember they had to come home early because Diane had a stroke, and after that her health continually deteriorated. They made sure to bring back Nauvoo Bricks for everyone in my family that they had made themselves just for us. They even put a "You are loved" heart sticker on the bottom with a tag that says Love, the Taylors. It was interesting, because as I was remembering them, I remembered the day Mark died, the same day as my Grandpa Bytheway, and it just so happens it was on February 9th, the same day of Hyrum Smith's birth (and, just to add another coincidence, Lori's birthday too!). Its probably just coincidence, but it was enough to make a memory in my mind of the people I love. The one thing I will never forget about the Taylors is that they never looked at people as Members of the Church vs. Non-Members, it was Members vs. Not-Yet Members. I believe that is true right along with them, and I miss them so much. I'm very glad I was able to go through Nauvoo and see some of the things they did and loved before they moved on from this life.

Our next stop was my favorite place out of the entire trip so far. We were able to go to the Smith Family Cemetery where the Prophet Joseph, his wife Emma, and his brother Hyrum are buried. It's owned by the Community of Christ church, but its such a sacred place. I loved it, and I felt the Spirit so strong. I know Joseph Smith was the true prophet specifically sent for the restoration. I am so thankful for him and his influence and steadfastness in bringing the Gospel to us that I know and love today.

After finishing up and having lunch in Nauvoo, we drove 4 hours to our current stop at Joliet, Illinois. Tomorrow we will be visiting the Amish! Hopefully I'll be able to get some very cool pictures! We'll be in Palmyra in 2 days, and I'll get a better picture of the Actual Nauvoo temple when we go back next week to do a Baptism Session in the temple. I'm so excited.

0 comments: