Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Month Number 1- I was a pansy.

The week before I moved up here to Provo I stopped by the Sem Building to talk to the Bro's one last time. I thought I was only going to be able to see Bro Steele, but luckily Shelton was there too so I talked to him for a few minutes. He gave me some advice that I took very seriously. Basically he said, "Listen, the first week you're up there, you're going to hate it. The first week is going to be horrible; you're not going to know anyone, you're going to miss your friends and your family and you won't know what is going on. But, after the first week, you're going to love it and you're not even going to care about whats happening at home. After that first week, you're going to look back and say, 'I was a pansy.' And I want that text."

At the end of the first week, I thought about what he had said and still wasn't too comfortable with the whole college thing, especially since I was kidnapped by some underground cult. I thought about it the end of the next week, but I still missed home because Sadee was up here in the hospital so I got to see the Singletons.

I finally started feeling ok with the situation up here this last weekend, and now that we have established the Quad, I'm loving life. (I even sent the text message to Shelton!) I'm loving it to the point of where I really want to bring my buddies down to G-wood, and we're trying to get rides worked out. Right now. . . thats not exactly happening, but I'm hoping to get it worked out! It will be super exiting.

Yesterday I had a big moment in life. I got to meet one of the Mormon World's most acclaimed superstars for real. Kirby Heyborne was at the BYU Bookstore signing autographs to prepare for his concert in Provo last night. A group of us sat in line for about an hour just to see him, shake his hand, hear his voice, and get our picture taken with him. It was unforgettable. Especially for a friend who wasn't even there!

Also, in the last 2 weeks, I've started my mid-terms. I had music last week, Book of Mormon on Monday, biology today, and American Heritage is scheduled for next week. I passed my music test with 93%, at least finished my BoM test (I still don't know what my score was),got through my Bio test with 83% (as of now, it could go up to 85%) and am not excitedly looking forward to the American Heritage test. It will be good to get the first tests out of the way.

I am absolutely loving the fact that I am coming home this weekend. I can't believe its already been 5 weeks, but at the same time I can't belive its only been 5 weeks. Time is a crazy crazy thing. You just have to remember, in the words of Dr. Booth, "This could be your finest hour!!!"

1 comments:

*becca :D said...

wow, lauren! being away from home sounds like fun. haha. shelton totally rocks. i can even relate to his advice a little. lol. i'm glad you could. it's okay, you can make fun of me now - my first week at high school was ... tolerable. :] so, i'll say it now. "i was a pansy." haha.