Sunday, September 14, 2008

Weekends at College, Thats Where the Parties Happen

This exciting weekend started early, on Thursday actually. Ryan had picked me up to take me to Grandma's house to help him do the yard work again, and I was more than happy to join and get away from campus for a little while. We had a nice chat with Grandma and mowed her lawns, then she gave us a bunch of food before we left to make sure we were happy.

I had left my phone out in Ry-Ry's car because I didn't really need it while I was mowing, so when we were leaving I checked it to see if anyone had left a message for me. Surprisingly I had a new voicemail, and when I listened to it, it was my mom saying that Sadee Singleton was up in Provo at the hospital. She didn't say why or anything, just that she was up here.

I told Ryan he was taking me to the hospital, but he made us stop to get Wienerschnitzel and Slurpees first, which was ok because we still waited about 10 minutes at the hospital until she got out of surgery. Apparently she had appendicitis and had to have her appendix taken out. She was still super loopy from the anesthetic and she hardly had a voice because they had to put a tube down her throat to make sure she kept breathing, but she was super happy to see me and Ryan and even smiled a few times. She really smiled when Ryan drew this picture of "Captain Courage" on her wall and she told me it helped her fall asleep.

We went back home that night so she could sleep, and I got up and went to my classes the next day, totally thinking that they would have released her to go home that morning. Turns out she had a slight fever after the surgery so the doctor wanted to keep her another night for observation. After classes I walked down to the hospital and played with her for a few hours, basically the rest of the afternoon, and luckily she was released yesterday morning and is now home. Thats definitely a plus!

When I got home from the hospital on Friday, I ran into some of my friends who were going bowling at Fat Cats. There was a dillemma though, Fat Cats was reserved completely until 10 and it was only 8. We decided to go try to use our free game up at the Wilk, so after walking all the way around to every Hall in Helaman, we climbed the hill up to main campus, only to find that it was a half an hour wait for a lane. We were in a group of about 15 kids, so we would have needed 2 lanes, and I guess there was a dance going on down by the Shopko and the Cafe Rio that some of them wanted to go to.

At that point, my new little four-some of Jason, RJ, Patria, and me decided we were going to go get ice cream instead. We walked down to Baskin Robbins and from there decided we were going to go to Wal-Mart because we needed to get some paint for the game on Saturday, and some white T-shirts for India-Fest! RJ called his friend to give us a ride, and we made it up to Wal-Mart safely and got everything that we needed.

When we were dropped off back at the dorms, it was decided that we should go for another midnight stroll around campus and take more random pictures. We took the obligatory one in one of the echo circles in front of the JFSB, then some jumping ones off of the wall,

then found the happy family statue behind the Kennedy Center.
We continued walking around campus, and finally came to rest on the hill outside of the Clyde Building Fishbowl. We sat there and looked at the stars for almost an hour, having some crazy fits of laughter and having an awesome time. When it was about a quarter to 2, we decided it was time to head back to the dorms, yet on our way there, as we were crossing the road from the JKB to the Tanner Building, Jason stopped and laid down on the road to "watch the lights change" (which they never did). That only lasted about 5 minutes before we were back on our way home.

As soon as we got back home, it was only a matter of minutes until we were all on facebook chatting about the night, posting our crazy pictures, and tagging everyone involved. We finally ended up getting to sleep around 3.

The next morning, we woke up stoked for the BYU vx. UCLA game and India-Fest! We didn't actually get going until about 11, but we got our waffles at the Cannon Center, took RJ up to campus so he could make a visit to Wells Fargo, and then pained our arms and our faces for the game. It was tight because we were all matchers in our silver shimmer shorts and our "Quest" T-shirts.

We went to the game, which was exciting and boring at the same time because of the final score of 59-0. Seriously. BYU is amazing.

We got back to the dorms and showered again to get the paint off of our arms, and we thought the next destination was India-Fest. Jason couldn't find any information of where it was or when the paint throwing would be, so he just decided it wasn't the best idea. I did some searching on the online Daily Universe and I found out that it was in Spanish Fork. That means it wasn't going to happen. Instead, Kendra came to visit me, and we had a super good time talking about home! I miss her so much!

Since nothing else of importance was going on that night, and I was really too tired to go to any of the dances, I did some homework, did my laundry, and went to bed at the reasonable hour of midnight. Stay tuned for some more exciting moments from BYU!

3 comments:

*becca :D said...

Holy crow Lauren! it's nice to hear (read?) how you're doing! we haven't talked in, like, forever. it sounds like you're having way too much fun. . . stop it! lol. i was glad to hear that sadee got out of the hospital okay. it's also cool to read about BYU because I have future dreams of going there :] so yeah. so are you studying psychology?

Sarah BTW said...

sillies, there isn't any paint throwing at india-fest. they only do that at the color festival in the spring. they have like a million festivals at the krishna temple - indiafest, llamafest, the color festival.

Matt Clyde said...

Holy. You know, those pics would be better if you were in some of them! lol jumping pics. I love those!